Return to Living Options Main Page
Want charm, great looking homes and maybe even a tax break, live in a Historic District!
Well for those of you from Europe that are used to 2,000 year old ruins, our area may not seem “historic”, however we do have some history! You can live in some of these historic homes and in the areas that have been “designated” as historic by the various cities. As a homeowner you do get some “perks” when you live in an historic area plus most of the homeowners keep their homes looking pristine! Tax breaks….the State of Arizona maintains a property tax reduction program for non-income producing properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Arizona State Historic Preservation Office, in conjunction with the county assessor’s office, administers this program (it reduces the property taxes for a “contributor” in an historic district from 10% to 5%; as a condition of the reduced tax, the owner consents to maintain and to preserve the integrity of its historic features, materials, appearance, workmanship and environment). Historic Districts must be over 50 years old, and must get approval from the City to have a “Historic District Overlay”. This is a map of the Historic Districts:
View Historic in a larger map
Detailed information below on each Historic District:
- Map of Villa Monterey Units 1-7 (Active Adult)
- Map of Scottsdale Town & Country Historic District
- Scottsdale Village Grove Historic District Info
The Historic Districts are as follows along with more details than you want or need on each one, the larger districts have their own pages and appear first:
|Coronado Historic Neighborhood|
|F.Q. Story Historic Neighborhood|
|Garfield and Garfield North Historic Neighborhoods – Coming Soon!|
|Palmcroft – Encanto Historic Neighborhoods|
|Roosevelt Historic Neighborhood|
|Willo Historic Neighborhood|
|Windsor Square Historic Neighborhood|
Smaller (in size) historic districts:
In 1903, Dwight B. Heard and his wife Marie constructed a 6,000-square-foot Spanish Colonial Revival mansion they named “Casa Blanca.” Located at the corner of Monte Vista and Central, the home was the cornerstone of future Alvarado and was a frequent stop for visitors and dignitaries from throughout the nation. Sensing the promise this north central location held, Heard purchased the entire quarter section of land on which his estate was located. In 1909, he subdivided the 160 acres, which ranged from Central Ave. to Seventh Street and McDowell Road to Oak Street, in to 32 parcels of five acres each. Intended for upscale, estate size homes, the project, named Los Olives, was the most prestigious of the early suburban home site subdivisions with the largest lots available. Preparing the project for sale, Heard provided numerous plantings throughout the subdivision, including hundreds of palm trees. Home styles in this area are Colonial Revival, Bungalow/Craftsman, and Mission/Spanish Revival.
Built as a subdivision of Dwight B. Heard’s “Los Olivios” subdivision, visitors will find examples of Bungalow and Period Revival built in the 1920s.
Period of Significance: 1926-1956
Period of Significance: 1939-1956
On January 28, 1928, a tract of land described as Lot 1 Beverly Heights was subdivided under the name of Cheery Lynn. Cheery Lynn was promoted as ultra modern, progressive, and indicative of the decline of streetcars, heralded as on the road to the new Arizona Biltmore. Subdivided by William Fosburg, the project contained 89 lots, 60 feet wide along 60-foot streets. While early Phoenix developments had concentrated on the sale of lots, Cheery Lynn represented the newest trend of packaging completed homes in a neighborhood stamped with a defined character and identity.
- Fosburg and his designer and superintendent of construction, Marion E. Carr, conceived Cheery Lynn as a neighborhood of “English type homes”. Responding to the architectural trends of the time, the homes were of English Tudor and English Cottage Styles. Compact, with rectangular and L-shaped plans, these styles are usually single story, brick homes that feature chimneys, half-timbering and gabled roofs, which vary from the medium pitch of the English Cottage Style to the very steeply gabled English Tudor.
- Fourteen Tudor Revival homes were constructed in Cheery Lynn in 1928. This early construction, when teamed with subsequent styles, has left Cheery Lynn with its most striking feature – a dramatic interplay of the angles and pitches displayed by the roofs of competing architectural styles.
- In 1932, in response to the Depression into Phoenix, Fosburg engineered a trade of his Cheery Lynn properties with Peoria cotton ranch owner, H.M. Stough. A former builder in the Los Angeles area, Strough appeared enthusiastic about the Phoenix housing market and put his talent as a builder to work in Cheery Lynn.
- Teaming with the O’Malley Building Materials Company, Strough worked his way through the Depression one house at a time. Sustained by advances of materials and money from O’Malley, Strough would construct a single home, while housing his family in the structure’s garage. After a few months, construction of another new house would commence. The Strough family would move its residence to each new structure as the cycle continued. Using proceeds from rental and sales to repay O’Malley, Strough eventually would construct 23 homes within Cheery Lynn until his death in 1938.
- Under Strough’s influence, Cheery Lynn blossomed with an abundance of parapets, stucco, and red clay tile. Trips to California kept Strough abreast of the latest trends in architectural styling. Monterey and other Spanish Revivals had eclipsed the English styles, and Stough’s transplant of theMonterey look would provide Cheery Lynn with its most dominant style. Constructed primarily of block, a typical home featured low walls and wing walls, some forming courtyards, vigas (wood beams), arches, and rooflines highlighted by red tile.
COUNTRY CLUB PARK
In 1880 Charles H.C. Orme filled a homestead patent that included the land upon whichCountry Club Place would be built. Orme held the land for only six months, then sold the northern half to Thomas W. Pemberton, who moved to Arizona with the intent of retiring to raise race horses on his new land, however it sold undeveloped to the Aetna Investment Corp, the original developers of Country Club Park.
- Consistent with FHA policies and standards, Country Club Park was laid out with curved, non-through streets; three-way intersections; consistent building placement; and the focal point of the neighborhood, a 2- acre, and elliptical park. Opening in October of 1939, the debut of Country Club Park coincided with the plunge of Europe into World War II. For the next two years, the development thrived despite the war as 50 percent of the lots were developed through speculative sales and the efforts of numerous builders. Country Club Park was one of the last large residential subdivisions in the city to be developed in this manner. Before the projects’ completion, increased scrutiny by the FHA, teamed with the effects of war, would bring an end to conventional development for the remainder of the War years.
- As with all other features, the architectural style of Country Club Park was dictated by the standards of the FHA. Simple, functional, and inexpensive, the Ranch Style home emerged as the predominant architectural style in Country club Park. In fact, various version of the Ranch Style home became the prototype for FHA construction and would dominate the landscape of the country over the next three decades. Ranch styles would eventually account for 97 percent of the 142 homes within the Country Club Park subdivision. Complementing the French provincial,California, and Transitional Ranch Styles are several examples of the Spanish Eclectic and Art Modern Ranch Styles. Basic features and forms are common to most of these variations of the Ranch Style, although Art Modern Ranch homes are particularly distinct. In general, they are one-story residences with low to medium pitched gable or hipped roofs, brick walls that are sometimes stucco-ed. They also have metal-framed windows and often a porch over the entry or a broad eaves overhang to shade the entry walkway. The Spanish Colonial Ranch often has a hallmark red tiled roof, white stucco walls and a massive stucco or brick chimney stack.
- During the World War, all “non-essential” construction was halted, and development was put under direction of the War Production Board (WPB) with the interaction of three other federal agencies. Local businessmen formed the Eureka Investment Company to continue the development of Country Club Park under the auspices of the WPB. Still attempting to honor the uniformity sought by FHA guidelines, the architectural firm of Lescher and Mahoney was retained to match the style of existing residences and plan of Country Club Park. Despite the limitations posed by wartime rationing, the substitution of materials allowed for construction of modest homes with only minor architectural adjustments. By the end of the war, in 1946, the subdivision of Country Club Park was complete – only seven years since its inception.
DEL NORTE PLACE
On the 21ts of April 1871, William A. Hancock filed the first homestead patent that consisted of a quarter section of land was then but a remote piece of desert, miles from the infant settlement of Phoenix. Territorial Veterinarian Dr. James Collier Norton had served under seven governors, overseeing the health of the district’s growing cattle industry. With statehood granted, he resigned his government post, establishing a dairy and constructing a home on the historic Hancock homestead, which Norton had purchased at the turn of the century A visionary, Dr. Norton had anticipated residential development on the southern half of this land. Shortly after purchase, he planted prospective grid streets with tamarack, ash, and orange trees. With completion of his home on the property’s northern edge, a large two story Mission Style structure he called Del Norte House, the scene was set for development. On April 3, 1927, Del Norte Place was opened to the public.
- Platted between 15th and 17th Avenues, the original Del Norte subdivision was created in 1927 and contained 84 lots bounded by Lewis Avenue on the north and Encanto Boulevardon the south. Two years later, a second subdivision would extend the district to its current northern boundary at Virginia Avenue. Promoted as the “beautiful subdivision” and “the countryside west of town,” Del Norte was conceived as a neighborhood of English cottage style homes, an architectural revival that was gaining nationwide popularity in the late 1920s. The mature trees and vegetation of Del Norte reinforced this English imagery and helped promote the style through out Phoenix.
- The homes, priced at $5,000 to $7,000, were constructed of red birch with contrasting brick trim and steeply gabled roofs. Del Norte was off the trolley line, and as many owners were already driving automobiles, most homes were constructed with accompanying garages.
- Teaming with Dr. Norton in the early development of Del Norte was J.Allen Ginn, Sr., who served as architect builder, and sales agent for the initial phases of the project and was featured prominently in promotion of the development. Gin’s architectural styling was on the cutting-edge of a rapidly shifting market and helped secure the early success of Del Norte. Ten houses were completed in Del Norte from 1930 to 1931 with construction of the next ten spread over five more years. The slowdown halted the efforts of Norton and Ginn, and the team ceased to be a force in the completion of Del Norte.
- In 1934, Dr. Norton sold the remainder of the parcel to the City of Phoenix for the development of the Encanto Golf Course. This land was joined with other parcels to create the city’s first large recreational park, which opened in 1937. The public project created a new identity for the neighborhood. Surrounded on three sides by greenbelt, the neighborhood was now promoted as “Del Norte Place – In the Heart of the Park.”
- The years from 1936 through 1941 brought the Del Norte neighborhood the most rapid development in its history. A total of 77 of the district’s 151 homes were constructed during this period. As FHA financing brought new life to Del Norte, FHA design standards brought a new look. Simplified versions of the Period Revival styles emerged, they were accompanied by adorned versions of earlier Period Revival styles, notably Spanish Colonial Revival and Monterey Styles representing more regional, southwestern influences. These homes were typically one story, stucco-ed brick dwellings with low pitched tile roofs. Ornamentation was generally limited to modest tile work, accentuating rooflines and doorways. During this phase, an alternative to the Period Revivals styles also gained in popularity. The early Ranch Style house, a simple brick structure with projecting gabled wing was an economical design, fashioned to meet the FHA guidelines. The “L” shaped design was typically ornamented with brick work and trademark small, circular window beside the front door. This style gradually eclipsed the Period Revivals to become the second most prevalent style of architecture in the district.
- From 1942 through 1945, Del Norte saw the construction of 21 homes. Homes developed under the federal war programs were limited to those constructed for war industry workers. House dimensions and the number of rooms were dictated by family size and ages. By the early 1940s, the architecture in Del Norte had evolved to the style of French Provincial Ranch. Characterized by the “L” shaped or irregular floor plan, a low pitched hip roof sheathed with wood shakes, and steel casement windows, 24 of these popular homes were under construction in the neighborhood in 1941. Although construction continued in Del Norte through 1963, the last stage of concentrated development occurred in the late 1940s and the early 1950s. This final phase was yet another evolution of the Ranch Style home. A simplified form of the French Provincial Ranch was christened the California Ranch. A gable identifies these homes or hip roof extended over the entire house, brick wainscoting around the exterior wall, and a board and batten, or painted brick on the upper wall surfaces. Thousands of these homes were built in Phoenix during the 1950s, personifying Phoenix as a postwar, suburbanized city.
- In 1992, residents formed the Del Norte Neighborhood Association to promote restoration and preservation of the district’s heritage – ensuring a solid future for Dr. Norton’s “beautiful sedition” in the 21st CenturyPhoenix.
- Period of Significance: 1927-1942, Bungalow/Craftsman
- Period of Significance: 1929-1942, Mission/Spanish Revival
- Period of Significance: 1909-1929,Pueblo, Bungalow/Craftsman
- Period of Significance: 1945-1959
- Period of Significance: 1943-1953
- Period of Significance: 1928-1948, late 19th and 20th Century Revival architecture
- The Garfield neighborhood has two of the largest historic districts in the city of Phoenix: the Garfield and North Garfield Districts. Garfield was developed from 1883 to 1931 and is the oldest historic neighborhood still relatively intact in Phoenix. Garfield was annexed to the original Phoenix Town site in the 1800’s, and most homes in Garfield were constructed from the 1890s to the 1930s. Architectural styles include Craftsman, Classic and California Bungalow styles, Pyramid Cottages, Period Revival, variants of Southwest styles, Prairie-influenced styles, and International.
- Period of Significance: 1928-1941, Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals
- Period of Significance: 1926-1954
- Period of Significance: 1906-1935
- Period of Significance: 1927-1949
- Period of Significance: 1926-1956, late 19th and 20th Century Revivals
- Period of Significance: 1939-1950, late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, Modern
- Period of Significance: 1887-1942. Originally two districts but combined into one – June 1997 (as Diamond Street Historic District); December 2002 (as Moreland Street Historic District); district consolidation, expansion and name change February 2005.
- Period of Significance: 1887-1951
- Period of Significance: 1935-1937, pueblo
- Period of Significance: 1924-1956
- Period of Significance 1924-1942
- Period of Significance: 1928-1940
- Period of Significance: 1880-1935
- Period of Significance: 1928-1949
- Period of Significance: 1928-1940