Return to Home Page
Tempe, a college town with lots of energy, a great downtown, and a lake with boating in the desert!
Tempe is a landlocked city that is the home of ASU, and that is undergoing a building boom. In 1885 the legislature selected Tempe as the site for the Arizona Territorial Normal School (now Arizona State University). It stayed a small agricultural community until after WWII, and then started a period of rapid growth, reaching its present boundaries by 1974.
Tempe is home to the Angels major league Spring Training, and home to the Sun Devils of Arizona State University. Being a college town adds an energy not seen in other areas of the valley! In fact, the ASU Tempe campus has the largest public university enrollment in the nation at just over 60,000 students! Its amazing and it keeps growing!
The City keeps winning awards:
- America’s Third Most Affordable, Fun City – Bloomberg Businessweek
- Best Downtowns in America – Livability
- ASU Named Most Innovative School in America – Again
- 2017 Best City of New Jobs
- 2017 Best City for New Grads – Infogram
- Smart Growth Award – ULI Arizona
- Hottest Intersections in Arizona – ULI Arizona
- 10 Great Streets of America – American Planning Association
- Most Walkable City in Arizona – walkscore.com
- Bicycle Friendly Community – League of American Bicyclists
Just north of downtown is Tempe Town Lake, a 2-mile lake surrounded by parks elite developments, and a marina. You can even rent a boat and take it out for a spin on the lake! Experts say, as Tempe’s core becomes more populated, the city will become one of the nation’s best examples of “New Urbanism”.
View all available homes in Tempe (from our live Realtor MLS system):